San Juan River Forum  

San Juan River Forum > General Discussions > San Juan River Fly Fishing
User Name Remember Me?
Password

San Juan River Fly Fishing General discussions regarding fly fishing the San Juan River. Ask questions, get answers, give advice...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Midge Master G

Ant Fall

Hi Everyone,
What is the Ant Fall? When is it? I would like to plan a trip for mid june.
Midge Master G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
SJDrifli
Co-owner of Aztec Anglers

Re: Ant Fall

MMG, the ant fall is a phenomenon that happens once a year, sometimes twice if the trout Gods are smiling on us. It typically happens when we have a night time massive thunder storm that chases the carpenter ants from their holes. In the morning the ants will start falling out of the sky and the fish go absolutely nuts for them. It will happen sometime in June or early July. It is all about timing and luck to be there when it happens. The fish will key on the ants strong during the hatch and you can catch fish on them for a week or two after fall. Although I have caught fish on an ant pattern in May-Oct. The fish have a long memory for ants. I fish a rainey's foam ant most of the time. Hope this helps.

www.aztecanglers.com
www.roughriderguide.com
SJDrifli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
sanjuanfly

I've never been lucky enough to catch the ant fall...and I used to fish there a lot.

If possible I would like to plan a last minute trip once it happens this year. We can set up a carpool from ABQ.

Scott
Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
O.a.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanfly View Post
I've never been lucky enough to catch the ant fall...and I used to fish there a lot.

If possible I would like to plan a last minute trip once it happens this year. We can set up a carpool from ABQ.

Scott
I'd like to join the carpool from ABQ if there is room, for the ant fall or any other time. LMK.
O.a.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
CHIEF

During the summer window you really don't need the ant fall to fish that pattern, it just helps. I have and do fish the ant all summer long, it more fishing there correct seams and water depth than anything else.

CHIEF
CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Zimbo
Administrator

I would love to hit this sometime but I realize it's sort of a "right place at the right time" sort of thing. If I had more money I would put Aaron on a $750 retainer with the understanding that at the first sign of an ant fall he calls me so I can jet out there on a red-eye and whoever he has lined up for the next day gets bumped to another gude, LOL.

--Zimbo
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
philthy
Grand Poobah

I'm gonna have to call in sick this year! Just hope it doesn't happen while I'm on a one hour call back for work.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Ryno

Unless you live in the vicinity of the Juan, hitting the ant fall is like hitting the lottery--only you don't have to pay half back to the government and you don't have to deal with your third cousin twice removed coming out of the woodwork.

While fishing the river is a kick during the ant fall, I prefer to head up to the lake. The same ant fall takes place on the lake, and it brings to the surface a lot of nice sized golden bonefish. Catching those hogs on a dry fly is hard to beat.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
dontfishenuf

I know a couple of guys that had never fished a dry before, they were fishing last summer when the ants started falling. Someone gave them each a foam ant because they did not even own a dry. They proceeded to each catch 30 plus each. When they got back they told me of the episode and I stood there with my jaw dropped. I have tried many times to no avail and these guys fell into it.. Go figure
dontfishenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
CHIEF

I'm coming home soon and fish nothing but dries soon, mostly terrestrials....

CHIEF
CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote