San Juan River Forum  

San Juan River Forum > General Discussions > San Juan River Fly Fishing
User Name Remember Me?
Password

San Juan River Fly Fishing General discussions regarding fly fishing the San Juan River. Ask questions, get answers, give advice...

Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
fish4fun
Guide

River Monster

What is happening folks it has been awhile for me, the forth graders are delivering a serious butt kicking this year and i am on the receiving end. I have to say that this has been a great year on the Juan with the average catch size and numbers on the rise. I had my annual trip with my buddies over Columbus day weekend and we had a great time as usual, besides the wind killing the dry action at times. fishing was fantastic besides me looking at the bobber more then i would like. The fish ate the toon a little and were all about brown and grey cdc on the dry.

the reason I have to post is the LARGEST fish i have ever witnessed on the river. Aaron and saw a brown from hell a few years back and this tops it. My buddies and i were having a little lunch after just landing a solid 22 inch fish. and then we here the splash.......... We look over to see a 8-9 inch injured rainbow flapping around the surface, with what looks like A huge bull trout right underneath it. This rainbow had very dark silver skin with just a worn red and black middle. It proceeded to open its giant mouth and miss the fish 9 or ten times, having trouble turning it's massive body with its bucket mouth open. I felt like i was watching a snook take a dry. We all stood there dumbfounded and stared in disbelief. Three witnesses no pictures by the time i thought to reach for my camera it had swallowed the fish and returned to the dark cave that it lives. If you were floating that day i told you about it because i could not believe it. I have been floating the river for over 10 years and spent some time looking in the water. Never seen something like this. I am estimating 30 to 36 inches MINIMUM we had just caught and measured a 22 inch fish 5 minutes before, and this thing looked like double that. This creature had the weirdest coloring that I have ever seen, and i easily could have fit my fist in its open mouth when it was attempting to swallow. It is no where near April first and i am glad i saw this random act in the middle of the day in a busy area. I am still dumbfounded but I now believe they are out there RIVER MONSTERS of the juan. So bring on the response I welcome it. I am still amazed at what I saw, i have fished a lot of rivers seen a bull trout dog bone a cutt and this still beats that.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
BigFishCatcher

Re: River Monster

Wow! I can't wait to get on the river. I wonder if anyone has ever caught a fish that size on the river? I remember in A pond in Aztec, I caught a 19 inch rainbow, then 10 minutes later, a 15 pound carp. The big rainbow seemed tiny. I couldn't seem to catch any real big fish after that, even though I caught a few 20 inchers.
Thanks for the report.
BigFishCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Bubba Smith

Congratulations you got to see the wolfman.
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
brucesmith

Going the end of the month and I am looking to land a fish over 28 inches. Have to top my best. Once you catch a really big fish thats all that will satisfy. Kind of like a drug you have to have more.
brucesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
brucesmith

Where does the wolfman hangout
Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
brucesmith

Bubba, I had the opportunity to fish with you last oct. You let me use your Helios. I ended replacing my 25 year old rod and bought the Hydros. Thanks for a great time.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
fish4fun
Guide

I will tell you next week. .... Musky flies.....sinking line.........pipe dream to find him out of the cave but i have to try
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Bubba Smith

The wolfman likes low light. bring an 8 wt chip
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
FortunateSon

I was out 2 weeks ago and witnessed several injured fish in the 6 to 10 inch range swimming around in circles, jumping randomly. Unfortunately no leviathons chasing them though. Hmmm.... size 4 brown trout imitation???? I'm headed that way in the morning, better bring a helmet.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
merc10007
Co-Owner Aztec Anglers

Spoke to Chipper last night. This was a HUGE fish.

FURY