San Juan River Forum  

San Juan River Forum > General Discussions > San Juan River Fly Tying
User Name Remember Me?
Password

San Juan River Fly Tying Discuss anything somewhat related to fly tying for the San Juan River. Ask questions, share patterns, swap flies...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
TroutBuzzed

Tiemco, Dai ichi or Dai riki

Experienced tyers I am wondering about hooks qualities. When I started tying in november I bought both TMC and Dai Riki hooks. I believe i experienced breakge with the Dai Riki hooks so I started bying TMC only. They are considerably more expensive than the Dai Riki but I do not want to lose fish b/c of a few bucks. When I had seen recipes calling for Dai ichi hooks I actually thought they were Dai Riki like I have. Do Dai Riki hooks suck and should I not bother tying on the 1sI have left.
TBuzz
TroutBuzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Ryan Y

Re: Tiemco, Dai ichi or Dai riki

For me Tiemco hooks are the best. It is rare that I have hook failure due to hooks breaking or bends opening. They also seem to be sharper, meaning a better hook set and few fish lost due to the hooks becoming dislodged from the fish's lip. Dai-Ichi hooks would be my second choice. Not many complaints with them. On some of the smaller sizes, 18 or below, the hook wire does not seem to be as heavy as the Tiemco hook. I have had more of them open up when fighting a fish or trying to dislodge a fly stuck in the bottom of the river, something I don't see with the TMC hooks where the tippet usually breaks before the hook fails. Overall a suitable 2nd choice if that is what I have. Dai-Riki and Mustad are a distant 3rd and 4th. I do use them on occasion, but mostly in larger sizes for streamers. They do not seem to be as sharpe or have the holding power of TMC or Dai-Ichi. I have also used Montana Fly Company hooks, they are on par with the Dai-Ichi hooks. In summary, flies 18 and below I try to stick only to TMC if I can. For larger sizes I'll use what I have. TB I was once in your position when I first started tying, all these choices for hooks and materials, what to use and how to use it. Time on the river will be your best guide, don't be afraid to experiment. I still find myself wondering how to improve my flies, whether it be hook shape/size, color of materials, or proportion of body. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Lead is Dead
Ryan Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
SJDrifli
Co-owner of Aztec Anglers

I agree with Ryan on the Tiemco and Daiichi! Dai Riki are pretty poor in my estimation. I have been using the Montana Fly company scud hooks for 5-6 years now, rarely have I had problems with them, and at 9.05 for 100 hooks, ya can't beat that. I have a hard time spending 16.00 for 100 hooks since I tie a ton of flies per year.

www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
www.roughriderguide.com
www.flyfishpimp.com
SJDrifli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Bubba Smith

Tiemco period, everything else is crap.
I will tie over 1,000 dozen flies a year, and I will only use Tiemco.
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
philthy
Grand Poobah

Here's a place I've ordered Tiemco hooks from in Tennessee. You have to call, but 11.50 for a hundred hooks is a pretty good deal. Tiemco and Daiichi are all I ever use.

http://southholstonriverflyshop.com/reports/?page_id=27
Old 02-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Bighand

I tie on all three brands of hooks plus others brands. I am one of those who has fly patterns that I like best on this hook. There are a few brands I will not tie on at all. I am not a fan of extra light wire and 1x short hooks. As Bubba said you can't go wrong with TMC to tie a fly on. I just can't see how Bubba can tie 8 gross of bunny leeches, that's got to get old fast.
Bighand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Rob

I use Tiemco for almost everything I tie, and I use Dai ichi if I can't find Tiemco. Gakamatsu is an excellent brand, and I believe they are better than Tiemco in some styles of larger (bigger than Size 4) wide-gap hooks. However, Gakamatsu tends to be considerably more expensive than Tiemco--at least fromt he lmited number of places I've seen them for sale. I have been seeing alot of Gakamatsu scud hooks lately in shops, and I have noticed they are significantly finer gauge wire than equivalent Tiemcos. This finer gauge wire may provide a superior hook set. However, I do not know from firsthand experience if the finer-gauged Gakamatsu hooks are as strong as equivalent shapes and sized Teimcos. One thing I do know is that Tiemco has a hook for just about everything, whereas Gakamatsu offers a less diverse inventory currently. You can't go wrong with Tiemco.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
AKman

Very good discussion here!

I found myself loosing fish with a Tiemco (200R) hook because of the light wire in the hook. The fish SJ rainbow was large and in very fast, strong current. Consequently, the hook bent and the fish went away. Lesson learned.

Now, I switch over to a 2x strong hook. That seems to increase my catch ratio.

I will look for an opportunity to increase my inventory of Gamakatsu hooks that compare to the Tiemco's and Dai Ichi's currently in use. So far, knock on wood, I've never had a Gamakatsu bend or deform during a catch. My tippet will part before the hook deforms.

I know it is subjective, but the Gamakatsu hooks just see to have an edge in sharpness over the other brands. Nevertheles, I'll continue to tie my flies with the metal that I can afford these days.

Isn't it great having opitons?

Tight lines and tight loops.

Akman
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
live2fish

I've never had any problems with the 200R tiempco bending. I will say though it is possible to deform it while unhooking without gently massaging the hook. All in all, I think that Diachii hooks suck a**! I have never seen a hook break as often as their emerger hook. You would be better off by sharpening a stick and tying to that.
live2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
SJDrifli
Co-owner of Aztec Anglers

I will try that Aaron, thanks for the advice I have to agree the Dai ichi small hooks are wimpy as hell. I use their streamer hooks, and large nymph hooks, say 10-12 and think those are great, never had a problem with those, but the tiny hooks are not great.

www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
www.roughriderguide.com
www.flyfishpimp.com
SJDrifli is offline   Reply With Quote